Welcome to session 1 out of 10 of the weight management sessions. If you have not read the article Prologue – 2017 weight management. Plan, prepare and execute for a brighter future please do so to obtain some more strategies on weight management and how you successfully can reach your desired goal.
Getting started with your weight loss is first and foremost that you need to increase your activity level and secondly reduce the amount of calories you consume daily. If you are in this current situation that you are gaining weight and have not incorporation weight-bearing-exercises (increasing muscle mass) you are consuming far greater than you are spending on your current activity level and if this progress continue you will become obese overtime, however if you currently are loosing weight with your current life style and are otherwise healthy you are on the right track for optimum weight loss and I suggest you continue your process and if you can, increase your protein intake and weight-bearing exercises to boost your fat loss quicker.
A realistic weekly weight loss goal, depending on your current size, is 2 pounds a week almost a kg a week and if you sum that up, a monthly realistic goal is 8 pound or 4 kg or 48 pounds equal to 24 kg in 6 month. That is a reasonable and realistic goal, but loosing weight do not come without effort and hard work.
A calorie is by definition the amount of energy it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius or 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit. One calorie is also per definition equal to 4.184 joules or 4.2 kilo joule. And as one pound of body fat is equal to 3500 calories we need to burn 3500 calories in order to lose one pound of body fat and that is approximately 10 hours of walking or 7 hours of running, so as you see weight loss is not an easy task and do require a lot of determination and a life style changes to be successful, but let me remind you that being healthy in a healthy body is a life style not just a passing phase in your life, it is also the best investment you can possible do and it is NEVER to late to start. Your future depends on your actions today.
Some times I am sure you have asked yourself why it is that some people can eat and eat and never seem to gain one gram, while others just have to look at food to gain weight and the only answer is the metabolism. The metabolism is referred to calorie burn and there is two ways our body burn calories. One is during physical activity such as running, walking, swimming, gardening and so on and the other burn is the basal metabolic rate, which is how many calories our body is burning just to keep our organs and heart beating. The fact is that even when we are lying in bed, reading a book or sleeping our body burns calories and the important thing to know here is that even you are exercising hard throughout the whole day your body will actually burn the most calories when at rest. That is however not an excuse not to do any exercise !
People who have a low metabolism are people who have a low “resting burn” and yes you can change that. The fact is that you can speed up your metabolism and burn more calories with very few life changes. The basic equation is this: the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you will burn. This is why world-class weight lifters must eat thousands of calories a day to maintain their weight. Muscle is active tissue, fat is not, hence muscle burns a significant number of calories each day for its own maintenance.
Men generally speaking lose weight faster than woman and the reason behind that is that men tend to have a larger amount of muscle mass. On average muscle tissue burns around 10 to 15 calories per pound per day just to maintain itself. Men also tend to have a higher growth hormone and testosterone than woman, which makes a huge impact on the rate and efficiency of metabolism and fat loss.
So in order for you to increase you metabolism you will need to create more muscle mass either by start lifting weight or by resistance training. If you are a woman you should not be afraid of becoming body-builder looking as this will rarely happened unless you are seriously weight training on specific muscle groups only.
Fruits and vegetables are the known foods that help boost metabolism. The fruit there is best known for boosting metabolism is the grapefruit and berries and are as well also rich on nutrients. Vegetables and lean protein is as well and important source of speeding up the metabolism.
Food there slow down the metabolism is sugar, white bread, fried food, processed food and alcohol. Can you stay away from these food group I will almost guarantee a natural weight loss especially if you incorporate exercise.
1. Your excercise routine should be 60 min – 90 min daily and you can if needed incorporate a rest day a week to maintain your motivation. Vary your workout from walking, jogging, swimming, yoga, weight training, boxing or biking, anything of your liking but as long as you get your body moving and burn calories.
2. All your meals must include vegetables and substitute all beverages with water with slices of lemon. 30 minutes before any meal drink a large glass of water with lemon. Do not drink during your meals as not to dilute the acid in your stomach there breaks down the food.
3. When you eat carbs, substitute your white bread with whole grain, white rice with brown rice, white pasta with brown pasta. And do not eliminate carbs especially when you excercise as your body needs carbs daily for energy. If you do not have instant energy in your body when exercising your body will take away the fuel for the muscles.
4. Plan all your meals in advance. Nothing is worse than eating what-ever there is available and nothing is worse than food shopping on an empty stomach. Eat 3 main meals daily and snack on fruit, greek natural yogurt with honey and nuts or handful of carrots.
5. Substitute butter for frying with olive oil and use any butter with moderation.
6. Eat fresh food, no pre-packaged, no chemicals or platic wrapped food. You are what you eat , so eat fresh and clean.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Captain Lis wellness blog
Originally posted 2017-01-26 08:06:47.