Todays recommendation is 45-65 % Carbohydrates, 20-35 % fat and 10-35 % protein, however when it comes to adjusting what to eat for weight loss there are so many suggestions on the internet, all ranging from Atkins diet, low carb diet, cabbage diet, no fat diet and all raw diet, needless to say very confusing and which one to choose?
Our belief is that if you find one plan there works for you and you can stick with it, while losing weight, you have found the right one. This weight management program is one you can stick with, as it is simple and successful, all about healthier choices, changing bad habits and focusing on an improved life style.
When it comes to health, the type of fat you eat is more important than the amount of fat you eat. Think in terms of good fat not fat-free
Not healthy choices: Fried food, fast food, pre-packaged food, processed food, soft drinks and fat-free is not healthy choices and are products we should use sparingly and try to avoid on a day-to-day basis, and only eat them occasionally. You might ask why fat-free is on the list, but personally, I think fat-free is also taste-free, and to make up for that, other far worse ingredients are added to the products to make up the flavor.
Not healthy habits: Dining out often is a quick way to gain extra calories and sipping on soft drinks throughout the day count for 1/3 – 1/2 of your extra calorie intake. Mindless eating and snacking on the wrong food is the main reason people gain weight. Skipping meals or only eating protein is not healthy and has no value to your health.
You are what you eat and feel like you think.
Improve your health and weight loss:
- Start your day with few moments of self-awareness, stretching and body scan. Connecting with your self is a true booster for the day ahead.
- Prepare a lean, filling and nutritious breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as the body has been without any new fuel since dinner the previous day. Not eating a proper breakfast, will make you fatigued mid-morning, hungry or cravings for snacking will be very possible.
- Sip on water throughout the day, nourish and hydrate your body (your temple) and flush away the toxin accumulating daily.
- Do your chores, your job or what you normally are filling your day up with, just don’t forget yourself in the outside world. Stay connected with yourself.
- Your lunch should equally be filling and nutritious. If at work, eat a light lunch, as the after lunch drowsiness will appear with a heavy lunch. Have some raisins available if you feel the need for a sweet snack or some light salted pumpkin seeds.
- Get out the door and get fresh air, move your body and inhale clean air, let the rain or shine embrace you and enjoy whatever weather you have. exercise for 60 minutes 3-4 times a week.
- Eat your dinner as early as possible, as eating late and going to bed shortly after is bad for digestion. Dinner should, in reality, be your smallest meal of the day as all hard work and physical activity has already taken place throughout the day, and now very little calories will be spent for the rest of the day.
Loosing weight without increasing your activity is almost impossible, and if you currently are gaining weight and don’t change your eating habits, you either need to increase your activity level to lose weight, or you will continue gaining more weight.
When it comes to deciding what food groups to eat more of versus what to reduce for weight loss, first, we need to consider a balanced diet, where counting calories should not be the first choice for optimum health, but merely how to reduce fat stores while preserving or even adding lean muscle tissue. Building even the smallest amount of extra muscle is a great way to increase metabolism, and if that is the way you are moving forward, then replace some of your carb intake with protein, and if aerobic exercise like running, swimming and yoga is your way forward, maintain your carb intake (as per recommendation above) but look at your fat intake.
What is the alternative?
Every time we go food shopping we tend to choose the same products because we know them in taste and texture, however next time you grocery shop, consider healthier choices from what you normally choose. Just replace one item a week to something healthier and you are on the right track.
White rice, parboiled rice, brown rice, wild rice
Coconut milk, rice milk, soya milk, almond milk
Margarine, butter, olive oil
Mass production – ecologic – home-made
Spaghetti – udon – Ramon – rice nuddles
Potatoes, new potatoes, sweet potatoes
Fried – grilled – broiled – natural
Sweet snack; you can snack on raisins or prepare in advance a roasted oven snack of dry oatmeal, cinnamon, coconut flakes and hassle nut. Salty snack; baked salted pumpkin seeds or chestnut.
Some suggestions for breakfast/lunch/dinner
Remember to drink a big glass of water 30 minutes before your meal and remember that it takes your stomach 20 minutes to feel full, so eat slowly.
- Greek yogurt with nuts, honey and chia seeds and few pieces of fruit, frozen/ fresh berries.
- Oatmeal with raisin, banana, and nuts. Make your own almond milk if needed.
- boiled egg, avocado, and smoked salmon. Brown bread.
- Fruit smoothie and fresh juice
- Or what ever combination their suits your needs for being full and satisfied.
If you had bread for breakfast, you need to find an alternative for lunch. Do not eat bread for both breakfast and lunch.
- Tuna fish sandwich on brown bread
- Wrap with quinoa and chicken and veggies
- Pita bread, with hummus and salad
- Rice paper rolls with cucumber, lettuce, peanuts and cooked chicken.
Dinner should be as early as possible and your lightest meal of the day.
- Salmon (or any fish for that matter) broiled or grilled with rice and vegetable
- Chicken with rice or vegetables.
- Blended soup, like pumpkin, carrots, peas, sweet potatoes.
- Vegan dishes, quiches
- Home made fruit salad
Have a super fantastic day
Please like and share if you find our articles interesting.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Captain Lis wellness blog
Originally posted 2017-02-13 09:00:00.